Friday, May 21, 2004

Simplicity

Great article in the NY Times today about simplicity and why technology needs to be designed around it. The first thing that came to mind when I read this was the current trend to pack everything imaginable into a cell phone. Maybe I'm just crazy but if I'm going to take a picture I'm going to take it on a real digital camera that has 3 megapixels and can sync easily with my computer. I am currently in the market for a new phone but can not find any that fit the bill of simplicity while still taking advantage of useful new technology that really does make life easier (Bluetooth, predictive typing, etc..). But I suppose this whole trend won't stop until we can watch tv on our phone while taking pictures of our friends and listening to the latest pop trash on the built-in mp3 player. Because everyone knows that we don't want devices that make current life more enjoyable, we want devices that don't leave us any time for our current life.

No comments: